Has segmentation by language produced pain for you? It has been big pain for us in Seidat!
I’ll tell you in this post a tip that solved our language problems in our CRM. In addition, I will tell you a couple of other good tips for refining customer data.
We use Finnish and English for marketing (the application is in English only). Two languages only, but they have caused marketing challenges for us in the past. I can just imagine what it is for companies with more languages. How can we separate thousands, tens thousands or more contacts linguistically to different segments? Doing the update manually is really laborious, so we have just tried to get along – until…
We had a problem in Seidat team before last Christmas. We would have wanted to tell everyone what we’ve achieved with Powerpoint import, but only the latest contacts were segmented by language. Most do not. And we don’t want to communicate with the Finns in English as a Finnish company. It’s not as effective as Finnish, our mother language. We had tried to solve the problem in many ways, but the wall came always against. We can automatically identify new users based on the language of the browser. It is already a good solution, but what to do with those old contacts which have been accumulated in the CRM along the years and who were waiting for us to have great news in their own language?
Google has made a lot of good tools and Google Sheets is one of the best ones (the equivalent of Excel). There are countless add-ons that allow Sheets to do almost anything to process CRM registers. There are ready-made solutions for almost all problems. If you know a person’s name, surname, and company, you will get company’s home pages, email addresses, twitter accounts, etc. Of course, a smart CRM would do all this by itself, but for some reason it is not often the case.
In fact, you don’t even need any add-ons to define the language, because you can do that using the basic functions. There is no way to get 100% solution, of course, but we found a solution of at least 95%. By having the contact’s first name, last name, and title, you can draw many conclusions of them. You can put Google Sheets to set a language for each word or phrase. We set it for the first name, last name and title, each one individually. To make the definition, Google uses the same database as it uses in Translator, which has been developing very much.
When the language has been defined for the words, we also gave the condition: if one of the words is in Finnish, the user’s marketing language should be Finnish. Matti Svensson, toimitusjohtaja is a double Finnish, but Matt Svensson, CEO is not at all. Simple and very effective. You may have some other data in your CRM that works better to determine the language. At least I can tell you that the city or country does not say anything, because Finland is not the only multi-lingual country.
I moved the data from the CRM to Google Sheets, made the tricks and returned updated data back to the CRM and we have now a reliable language definition for all our contacts. I recommend trying.
If you still have a better way, tell me about it!
If you want help with marketing or even more for presentations, schedule a time for a meeting https://paulus.youcanbook.me or just sign up to Seidat: https://app.seidat.com/register